EcoSwell is the amazing charity I will be joining in Lobitos. In their own words:
‘We are a not-for-profit NGO whose mission is to design and develop socio-environmental, educational and infrastructure projects with the purpose of guiding the development of rural/semi-rural localities through the path of a sustainable development, increasing the quality of life of their inhabitants.’
What that means is they design and put in place many projects which serve to help the people of Lobitos, economically, socially and environmentally. The three pillars they developed to achieve sustainability is:
- Conservation and sustainable use of ecosystems, natural resources and biodiversity
- Participatory processes of social inclusion and gender equality
- Economic wellbeing
They take on a ‘full Bottom-up immersion’ strategy which means they immerse themselves in the community and those they are helping to ensure the work they are doing has social validity and impact. They work with volunteers, mostly with Engineering or Scientific backgrounds, to design, develop and create successful projects.
They work in 5 main areas:
- Land- Reforestation, species protection, Eco-tourism and more.
- Ocean- Fishermen protection projects, ‘Surfonomics’ and more.
- Renewable Energy- Solar energy, Wind energy and more.
- Water and Sanitatio- Sustainable water treatment, dry toilets and more.
- Medicine and Public Health- Medical and dental support and treatments.
Click on these links if you want to read about more of their projects now in place: http://www.ecoswell.org/projects.php
All the money they raise from donations and volunteers goes strait to the tools and resources for these projects. When reading up on their stories, what they’ve done and still want to do it’s genuinely moving. You get a clear sense that these people and the volunteers who join them truly care about the environment and the people who make up this close community. I cannot wait to meet my team and get to be a part of the wonderful work they do.